Feb 13, 2015

Take a Breath

Several of my author friends have expressed their disappointment in book sales lately. Some have considered giving up on their career as an author. At the very least, they want a break from the stress caused from putting all their energy, time and money into marketing that doesn't pay off.

I totally get that.

There have been times when I considered quitting, especially in the beginning. But because I love being a story teller and writing about characters that live and breathe in my warped little brain, it's not in me to throw it all away.

That's not to say that we, as published authors, can't take a break once in a while. It's necessary to refill our cups and heal our spirits.

I took almost a year off in 2013-14 because of my health. Getting my physical health back was a priority for me and I had to put everything else on the back burner, regardless of promised release dates. Day by day, I've worked to get back into the habit of writing. It wasn't easy, and sometimes I lapse into a few days of ignoring my muse. But that's okay because this week I could finally see the old me returning and it feels great.

I guess what I'm saying is . . . it's okay to take a break. In fact, it's necessary. We all need to stop, take a breath and heal our emotional and spiritual selves. But that doesn't mean we need to quit. If you're anything like me, writing is in your blood. It's part of you. Killing it will kill a part of you that you may never get back.




2 comments:

  1. That's right! You are a strong woman and I love your books. You are a positive example in hard times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melissa. You've totally made my day. :-)

      Delete